Friday, August 30, 2013

For the Love of Writing

The thing I love about writing more than just being able to express myself in words as fast as my fingers can type is that it allows for an outlet of my thoughts. Sometimes these thoughts stray to the negative, just as we all struggle with inner demons, yet oftentimes they are good and insightful, and as I grow older - occasionally wise.

I love writing just for the sake of writing. Being a geek and technology lover of all kinds, I am a very introverted individual, which means that my alone time, while it may be alone - is still spent oftentimes creating things for other people to read that they may never read. To me it doesn't matter how many people read my blog for example. I put articles out there that I feel are somewhat polished and worth a read, hell - I reread them on occasion, but I do it for the love of writing not for the audience. That is one pitfall that many writers may face - when writing a book or a story, even a short - you must never forget the audience that you are writing for. This is one lesson that I am still learning. I am beginning to adapt my writing style to my intended audience. I will someday soon try my hand at children's books, at teen books, maybe even a coming of age book, ala Stephen King. Except mine may be in a Science Fiction setting - just because I can.

The important thing that all writers should know though. Write because you love to write, write because if you don't write it hurts too much. Write because you have to write, because you need to write - it's part of you and part of what you leave behind when you are long gone. Your fans may never be many, but your words will live forever.

No comments: